We are looking for a full-time Custodian/Maintenance Coordinator to work approximately 40 hours a week and maintain 24 – hour stand-by status. Housing for the C/MC and family is provided by the church. This position is responsible for the maintenance of church properties, equipment and building security. This position is also administrative: supervising, scheduling and evaluating custodial staff.
The ideal candidate will possess an open, friendly personality and be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of people and situations. A candidate must have the ability to adjust to a flexible work schedule, must have a valid driver’s license and must be fluent in English. Bi-lingual in Spanish/and or Karen preferred.
Experience in a church or non-profit organization and five years of supervision and building maintenance is also preferred.
See the full job description here.
Interested applicants should e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
In September, we will begin a weekly book study in English on Pre-Post Racial America: Spiritual Stories from the Front Lines by Rev. Sandhya Jha. As the Chalice Press book review reads:
Those people. Their issues. The day’s news and the ways we treat each other, overtly or subliminally, prove we are not yet living in post-racial America. It’s hard to talk about race and racism in America without everyone very quickly becoming defensive and shutting down.
"What makes talking race even harder is that so few of us actually know each other in the fullness of our stories. A recent Reuters poll found 40% of White people have no friends of other races, and 25% of people of color only have friends of the same race.
Sandhya Jha addresses the hot topic in a way that is grounded in real people’s stories and that offers solid biblical grounding for thinking about race relations in America, reminding us that God calls us to build Beloved Community."
The class will take place on Sundays at 1:00 PM. We will begin on Zoom, and gather in the church courtyard as weather permits. Please contact Pastor Kathryn (email@example.com) for more information.
Early Voting Option prior to November 3rd: Here’s an option for people who feel unsafe about voting in person, but now fear the USPS will be unable to deliver a “mail-in” ballot in a timely fashion:
1. Apply on line now for a mail-in ballot by clicking here.
2. Starting on October 14 there will be Secured Drop Boxes at all Early Voting locations.
3. After you fill in your ballot you should sign and seal the envelope.
4. You can then bring it to the Early Voting site.
5. If you applied online to Vote By Mail, you’ll later get an email confirming your ballot has been received. At a later time you will be informed that it has been accepted and notified if there are any problems.
6. The ballots at Early Voting sites are transported (under chain of custody protocol) to the Board of Elections facility.
7. List of locations and hours for Early Voting will be available here.
POLL WORKERS NEEDED - Illinois has lowered the minimum age to be an Election Judge to 16 years old. Do you know someone who would like the experience and get paid? Have them sign up at chipollworker.com They need more Judges and other workers. For a complete list of openings: ChicagoElections.gov/Jobs